Some time ago I decided I wanted to make a crocheted skirt guard for my vintage bicycle. I couldn't get hold of the yarn the pattern called for, and so I had to do a little bit of experimenting to get the size right. I also discovered that the slippery quality that made the yarn I had chose so pretty also made the ends escape even if I anchored them really well. I solved that with discreet use of fabric glue. The skirt guard had to have some sort of opening in the back half as well as the front to make it fit the bike. I rummaged around my button collection and found the coloured ones you see in the first picture. I stitched them on, and buttoned the skirt guard in place.
Here are some pictures of the new skirt guard:
In Norway in the 1960's it was common to have skirt guards made of fabric. Usually oil cloth. I made one of these as well, and use it on my modern bike. I prefer to ride the modern bike on longer trips, as it's less likely to break down on me. I also made the matching padded seat cover. The shopping box at the back I got through ebay.