Tuesday, October 06, 2009

Winter Already!


As I mentioned in yesterdays post, it was snowing quite a few places on the journey back from the north of Norway a few days ago, but as Lillehammer is in the south of the country, I wasn't expecting it to start snowing here today.

Stating that I was more or less prepared for winter was apparently not a good move.

The picture above is showing the view from my kitchen window. It really doesn't do the weather justice, the snow flakes are huge, and it is coming down pretty hard. I am not sure at what time it started, but I would assume that it was no more than an hour before I took the picture.

I left work early today, which in a sense was a stroke of luck (even if the stomach upset that led to the hasty departure was anything but pleasant), since I was wearing mary-janes to work.

I do feel a little bemused about this. When we were living in Ireland, snow was rare, and mostly a source of entertainment, as the traffic would grind to a halt, trains stop running, and people were generally be quite taken by surprise by snow. It would also usually never last more than a few hours. Now this - this is a prelude to what could possibly be 6 months of snow.

It could very well be that I'm not quite ready for winter yet...

No comments:

Post a Comment