Wednesday, August 19, 2009

1920's sewing chest


1920's sewing chest
Originally uploaded by Vintage Granny

When I visited my aunts in Oslo this spring I went to this huge flea market with auntie Ann (owner of the vintage store Gatsby). We were waiting outside the market for about 30 minutes before they opened, to make sure we'd be amongst the first people in. It was a strange experience, my aunt has been in this business for some 25 - 30 years, and she knows all the others in the business, and it seemed all the "oldies" were gathered there that morning, discussing how the flea markets were better in the olden days, and how all these young upstarts were invading their territories - it was an education in itself. Especially since these guys tried to wrest information from each other regarding where they find all their merchandise, while jealously refusing to give out information regarding their own business dealings.

Once the market opened, everyone run like they had the devil on their heels, and I must admit I kept to the edge of the crowd, as I was scared of getting run over. Some of these people were fierce...

I had my eye on this chest when I was waiting outside the market, but didn't have much hope of getting to it first, but luckily, it was completely neglected by the running crowd, and I got if for a pitteance :o)

My aunt had given me strict instructions to haggle for anything I wanted, and I did. I am very proud of that, actually. I usually never have the guts to haggle, but driven on by the scenes around me I found myself replying "how about 30" when the seller asked for 50 NOK. After some symbolic squealing he agreed to 35. In the end I got it for 28, as this was all the change I had, and this guy couldn't give change for the 200 NOK bill I presented him with :o)

This was in truth a very, very good day. I also got a tweed suit for 50 NOK (haggled down from 60).

No comments:

Post a Comment